TIPS AND TRICKS FOR COMBATING THE DAMAGING EFFECTS OF CHLORINE AND SALT FOR YOUR HAIR
It’s that time of year again and for many people, and swimming will surely be a part of your everyday routine this summer. But your hair might not like it as much if it’s not looked after properly.
Salt water is easier to deal with than chlorine as it is simply drying as opposed to the chemical-laden swimming pools and the damage they can do to hair!
Too much chlorine and metal exposure from the pool will cause our hair go green. Here are some tips on avoiding those dreaded green locks and damaged dry ends from chlorine and salt water.
- SOAK YOUR HAIR BEFOREHAND – Add moisture to your hair prior to jumping in the pool. Think of your hair like a sponge, ready to soak up any water. If you put a dry sponge into the pool, it will absorb more of the chemicals than a wet sponge that has already been saturated in water. So, wet the hair and/or put in a leave-in conditioner prior to going to the pool. Click here to view our Organic Leave In Moisture which is perfect for this use. Our Organic Moroccan Argan Oil is also very effective for this, see below for more info.
- EVERESCENTS MOROCCAN ARGAN OIL – This miracle oil has many uses and protection from swimming is just one of them. Apply a few drops from root to ends prior to swimming in chlorine or saltwater and it will help to protect the life of your colour and condition of your hair.
- USE A GOOD QUALITY SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER – Once you have finished swimming, try and wash your hair as soon as you can and use a good quality moisturising shampoo and conditioner. The EverEscents Cinnamon & Patchouli Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner is sure to restore even the most damaged locks! Click here to check it out.
- BRUSH CAREFULLY – Since hair is most fragile when it’s wet, don’t rip a brush through it after swimming. Spray a good quality Organic detangler on it, and then use a wide-tooth comb to minimize breakage. Watch this space for the brand new EverEscents Organic Detangler coming out soon!
- GET A HAIRCUT – It’s always best to get a trim before summer. The sun will do extra damage to hair that’s already dry, so if you remove those dead ends, you’ll be in better shape.
- WEAR A HAT – It’s one of the best ways to protect your hair and scalp from the sun’s rays.
- TYING YOUR HAIR UP – Always be careful you don’t tie your hair too tightly or especially when it is wet as it might cause your hair to break. Try and tie it up loosely and change the way you tie it up so that it isn’t stressing the same hair strands each time.
- TREAT YOUR HAIR REGULARLY – Whilst you are swimming in the ocean and/or pool, try to give your hair a weekly treatment with a good quality moisture treatment at least once a week. Our EverEscents Deep Treatment is perfect for this, click here to find out more.
We hope these tips have been helpful and please enjoy the beautiful Summer that is well on its way! If you would like to view our website, please click here