Ever needed to fill your meal full of a nutritious leafy green? Well Kale would be the best one to do it! Do you know why? Here are some reasons:
- Kale is extremely low in calories, very high in fibre, as well as having zero fat! One cup contains around 36 calories, 5 grams of fibre and 0 grams of fat.
- It is great for aiding in digestion and elimination with its great fibre content.
- Just one single cup of kale contains; Vitamin A; Vitamin K; Vitamin C; Vitamin B6; Manganese; Calcium; Copper; Potassium; Magnesium; Thiamine; Riboflavin; Niacin; Iron; Phosphorus.
- These can also be called Antioxidants, which are amongst the substances that help counteract oxidative damage. Oxidative damage is believed to be one of the leading drivers of aging and many diseases, including cancer.
- Kale also contains substances that bind bile acids and lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- Vitamin K is a very important nutrient, in which most Australians do not get enough of. Lucky for us, Kale is one of the world’s best sources of vitamin K, with a single raw cup containing almost 7 times the recommended daily amount. It helps prevent heart disease, osteoporosis and is absolutely critical for blood clotting.
- Kale is also believed to have protective effects against the growth & reproduction of cancerous cells, due to the fact that it is actually loaded with substances that have been shown to help fight the formation of cancers, at the molecular level. Although, Studies have shown that vegetables like Kale, may significantly lower the risk of several cancers, the human evidence is proven to be mixed.
- Kale is high in lutein and zeaxanthin, nutrients that have been linked to a drastically reduced risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Kale is extremely low in calories, but also provides you with the significant bulk which should help you feel full. This is due to the low calorie but also high water content, which means the food has ‘low energy density’. Although, there are no tests directly linking kale to weight loss, eating plenty of foods associated with ‘low energy density’, have in fact been associated with numerous weight loss tests.
- Did you know? Cooked kale offers more iron than one pound of beef and more Vitamin C than an orange!
It is very clear why this newly found and very cheap superfood is causing such a huge buzz, not only with the organic kind, but with absolutely EVERYONE!